Dave's Scimitar SS1 1600

The re-commissioning

Page 7 of 9

See Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

I know my chassis had the captive nuts for the roll bar already fitted, but the body tub didn't have holes, so Bob kindly offer to drill holes using and extra long drill bit. > rollbar_06.JPG (232030 bytes) With holes in the body tub we could then use a hole saw to cut out the bigger holes in the body tub so we could fit the spacers > rollbar_07.JPG (221105 bytes) Captive nuts can be seen now > rollbar_08.JPG (327071 bytes)
My first outing with the new roll bar was Curborough Test day.  I didn't take the car around the track I only went to help assist with the timing gear > rollbar_09.JPG (244935 bytes) Next on wish list is to refurbish or replace the button wheels, but they'll have to wait >  rollbar_10.JPG (242213 bytes) Looking quite smart!! > rollbar_11.JPG (200888 bytes)
While at Curborough my starter motor was playing up, so once I got home I removed the starter motor for inspection > starter_01.JPG (268654 bytes) starter_02.JPG (313764 bytes) starter_03.JPG (187081 bytes) On further inspection it was pretty worn out, so it was replaced >  starter_04.JPG (174446 bytes)
April 2012 > I had a small fuel leak from the petrol pipe to the carb as I couldn't secure the fuel pipe properly as there were two different size fittings from fuel pump to carb > fuel_01.JPG (214043 bytes) fuel_02.JPG (238561 bytes) So the solution was to fit an elbow reducer fitting > fuel_03.JPG (171995 bytes)
However there was still another small leak from this fitting > fuel_04.JPG (171872 bytes) So the carb had to come off.  I removed the fitting to find the filter inside was full of debris, so I cleaned out the carb and fitted another filter before refitting it. fuel_05.JPG (175631 bytes) fuel_06.JPG (161942 bytes) fuel_07.JPG (206514 bytes)
After driving the car i noticed the fan wasn't coming on and the temperature was starting to rise when I got stuck in rush hour traffic > I checked the fan and fuse and they seemed to work fine, so next I had to remove the complete thermostat/temperature housing > temp_sender_01.JPG (157901 bytes)  < It's quite a awkward job to do as it's at the back of the engine near the bulkhead. but all I used was a small wrench 10 mm socket and an extension to get at one of the bolts. > temp_sender_11.JPG (169667 bytes)
temp_sender_02.JPG (125724 bytes) I ordered a full thermostat kit from Nigel at Queensberry Road Garage, even though I had replace the thermostat before fitting the engine.> temp_sender_03.JPG (116843 bytes) temp_sender_04.JPG (147273 bytes) Care had to be taken trying to remove the old otter switch as it seemed it was well and truly stuck in place. temp_sender_06.JPG (185336 bytes)
The old otter switch was removed, but had got some of the thread with it! temp_sender_07.JPG (143130 bytes) Luckily, the rest of the thread was good and we cleaned up the thread and fitted the new otter switch with a fibre washer. temp_sender_05.JPG (94530 bytes) temp_sender_08.JPG (133321 bytes) Tested and fitted the new thermostat before fitting >
temp_sender_09.JPG (146768 bytes) and then set about trying to re-fit the complete housing. temp_sender_10.JPG (184116 bytes) Remember to bleed the coolant system by removing the bolt in the top of the head and re-fitting when water comes out. temp_sender_21.JPG (147500 bytes) Once the coolant had been topped up and bled, I then ran the engine until it got hot again and waited for the fan to come on, which it did.... once I remembered to plug in the wires on the otter switch ;o)
I bought a new pair of spot lights to replace the ones I broke before the MOT. spots_02.JPG (171304 bytes) spots_03.JPG (185748 bytes) spots_04.JPG (303692 bytes) fitted and all working correctly! > spots_05.JPG (218766 bytes)
See Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9